Playing a Savage Game
T o play a game in the SAVAGE DAWN campaign setting, you can use any tabletop fantasy roleplaying game system. We assume you have a basic understanding of how to play a game using your system of choice. The SAVAGE DAWN lore content is designed to be system agnostic, with minimal use of rules. It shouldn’t take much effort to bring the world of SAVAGE DAWN to life using your favourite gaming system.
- Use your favourite fantasy roleplaying ruleset (D&D, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, etc)
- Create a character as you normally would
- Use the rules, stats etc from your chosen ruleset or homebrew rules
- Use the SAVAGE DAWN world as a region of your established world, or as a completely standalone world
The SAVAGE DAWN campaign setting is designed to be playable with any fantasy ruleset of choice, such as D&D, Pathfinder, and others. Therefore, most wiki materials are presented without rules mechanics. Our wiki presents you the world, locations, inhabitants, and thrilling story: you decide how to play it, including choosing the appropriate game ruling. In some occasions, we provide a suggested game mechanic, but you are welcome to use your own style of play and creativity. Material from the Patreon and DTRPG are compatible with Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition.
With a minimal focus on game rules, you have virtually endless freedom to play SAVAGE DAWN the way you and your players like it. In our experience, this strongly emphasizes roleplaying and inventiveness, indeed many GMs and players have told us how this approach made them feel like playing a roleplaying game again for the first time.
On behalf of the entire SAVAGE DAWN creation team, we wish you amazing adventures. Don’t just roll to hit, forge myths!
– Chris van der Linden, November 2018, updated by JVC Parry March 2020